Knowsley Pensioners Advocacy & Information Service (KPAIS)

KAPISKPAIS provides independent advocacy and support to help older people across Knowsley.

Have you got an issue, concern or question that affects your day to day life and you’re not sure where to go to get the answers? Speak to KPAIS they have a wealth of information and advice could be just what you need.

With 12 years expertise & delivery with older people and other organisations across the borough. KPAIS  are ‘in the know’ and have built up an impressive network of contacts and partnerships. They don’t guarantee they have all the answers but they do have the resources and friendly staff on hand to help you find them. From advocacy, befriending, a trader approved scheme (TASK), volunteering opportunities and so much more, pop in or call the team on 0151 449 3706.

KPAIS believes that knowledge is power – older people are empowered to take control of their own lives when they have what they need to make informed decisions. KPAIS  aim to ensure that YOU are receiving the best possible advice and information and lend a helping hand to find out where that can be found.

Money worries?

feeling the squeeze_photoKnowsley Older People’s Voice have published a list of agencies and organisations who can help you through your worries and provide FREE practical steps and advice.

If you are worried about money or debt there are some simple actions you can follow to prevent things getting worse, and importantly a wide range of agencies locally and nationally who can help you.

  • Citizens Advice Bureau – 0845 122 1300
  • Huyton Advice Centre – 0151 489 7313
  • Knowsley Pensioners Advocacy & Information Centre0151 449 3706
  • Age UK Knowsley – 0151 480 4632
  • Kirkby Unemployed Centre – 0151 548 0001
  • Prescot and Whiston Advice Centre – 0151 443 4639

Carers Voucher Scheme

Carers Voucher Scheme KnowsleySo if you need to visit your G.P, have a hospital appointment or you just need to get your hair done, without having to worry about leaving the person you care for at home. Then this FREE scheme is for you!

The Carers Voucher’s  offer a domiciliary sitting service for the person you care for. Vouchers are FREE and can be collected or sent out to you from your Knowsley Carers Centre.

Please do contact Joanne Simm at Knowsley Carer’s Centre on 0151 549 1412 for further details. Don’t forget you need to register or be registed with Knowsley Carers Centre to receive vouchers.


Carers Support Groups in Knowsley

Knowsley Carers Centre host lots of Carers support groups across the borough – they are a great way for carers to meet other carers, have a chat and unwind. Support groups are a great way to share experiences, de-stress as well as find out lots of information – occasionally they have guest speakers and are always open to your suggestions !

Huyton, Prescot and Whiston Carers Group
Meets 1st and 3rd Wednesday in the month 14.00 – 16.00 at Knowsley Workshop, Longview Drive, Huyton, L36.

Halewood, Cronton Carers Group
Meets 2nd and 4th Thursday in the month 10.30 – 12.00 at St Mary’s Centre, Hillingden Avenue, Halewood, L26

Kirkby, Stockbridge Village Carers Group
Meets weekly Fridays 10.30 – 12.00 at Knowsley Carers Centre, 143a Bewley Drive, Southdene, Kirkby, L32 9PE.

Together Mental Health Carers Group
Meets the 2nd Thursday in the month at 13.30, Knowsley Carers Centre 143a Bewley Drive, Southdene, Kirkby, L32 9PE.

Together Mental Health Carers Group
Meets 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month at 13.30 at Capper Grove, Huyton.

Disabled Facilities Grant

Disabled facilities

A Disabled Facilities Grant is a local council grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there. A grant is paid if we consider that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

How to apply
The person applying must be the owner or qualifying tenant of the property to be adapted.  A landlord may apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.
Social services must first carry out an assessment to make sure you are eligible to apply for the grant. Visit the Directgov website for further information about the grant or call the Knowsley Access Team (KAT) for more info 0151 443 2600

Are you eligible?
You can claim if you, or someone living in your property, is disabled and:
– You, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, are either the owner or tenant (including licensees) of the property
– You can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your/their only or main residence throughout the grant period – currently five years.


Just ask TASK!

task_nHave you asked TASK? It’s a trader approved scheme for older and vulnerable members of our community who live in Knowsley.

Leaky tap, loose drainpipe or wobbly worktop….
If you, your neighbour or elderly family member have had problems in the past finding a reliable and reputable trader to carry out odd jobs or work on your home. Well, I bet you didn’t know TASK are here in Knowsley to help.

Providing you with professional, reliable and trusted to put your mind at ease. For more information please contact TASK on 0151 546 6680 or click here

Easy read guide to welfare benefit changes

Here’s a great FREE & easy guide to welfare benefit changes, with tonnes of other accessible and useful downloads too. The guide explains some of the most significant changes and explains what people can expect to happen over the next few years. It was written with the people supported by United Response in mind, but we are keen to make it available to other organisations, support workers and individuals to use if they think it would be helpful.

Click here to download and  find lots of other FREE downloads from United Response

Download for PIP

Now here’s a great download from Disability Rights UK for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)  – Guide to making a claim.
It’s a new easy to use  60 page guide on how to make a claim.

While your there find out more about Disability Rights UK who are a nation wide charity promoting positive change, working to create a society where everyone with experience of disability or health conditions can participate equally as full citizens.

What is PIP?
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a new benefit for people who need help taking part in everyday life or who find it difficult to get around. It replaces disability living allowance for people between the ages of 16 and 64 inclusive.

In 2012, there were over 3 million DLA claimants in the UK; the Government estimates 600,000 fewer disabled people will qualify for PIP by 2018.

Yoga is for everyone!

yogaHey now here’s a chilled out invite to take part in friendly non-competitive yoga classes down at the Stockbridge Village Neighbourhood Centre, The Withens L28 1AB.

Suitable for men & women of all abilities! Priced at £4.50 the brand new classes run every Thursday evening 7.30pm – 8.30pm & Friday mornings 10am -11a, with a view to starting another class on Monday morning’s too.

Why don’t you give it a go? Develop at your own pace in a very friendly supportive environment.

Did you know? Yoga can help to……
IMPROVE – muscle tone, flexibility core strength, posture, focus, well-being
REDUCE – physical and/or emotional stress and tension
FEEL – happier, healthier, calmer, refreshed, re-energised and relaxed.

For further details do call the Stockbridge Village Neighbourhood Centre on 0151 443 5073.

Big changes to waste collections in Knowsley

Waste CollectionIt could be your last chance to  have a say on big changes to the Waste Collection Services in Knowsley – namely moving our weekly collections to every two weeks. A public meeting will be held on Monday 6.30 – 7.30pm 15th July, at Christ the King School, Stockbridge Lane Huyton L36 3SD.

We’ve had a number of KULO members voice their concerns about these changes ranging from eligibly  for a second refuse bin due to high usage, procedures for safe storage and disposing of hygienic waste, as well as lack of access to transport any extra bin waste to one of Knowsley’s Household Waste recycling Centres in Huyton or Kirkby. How will these changes affect you? For better or worse?

Newsletter Sign up