News archives for 2015

Mental Health Coffee Morning

alzheimers-lead229-755013_478x359Hosted by Healthwatch Knowsley a Positive Mental Health Coffee Morning will take place  Friday 23rd January 10-12pm at The Old School House St Johns Road, Huyton, L36 0UX.

January’s Coffee Morning will focus on Dementia. The Alzheimer’s Society will be coming along to the coffee morning to provide a Dementia Friends Session, chat about some of the local services available and answer any questions about Dementia.

The Coffee Morning is open to anyone, including service users, family members and carers. If you are interested in coming along please contact Lee-Ann on 0151 449 3954.

About Direct Payments

direct paymentsIn most cases, if you or the person you’re looking after are assessed and social services decide you need support services they must offer you the option of getting direct payments to buy those services yourself instead of having them arranged for you.

Put simply, direct payment is a cash payment from social services which allows you to have more control over the services you receive.

Most people receiving social services from the council have a right to direct payments.

  • Older people who have been assessed as needing care services
  • Disabled people aged 16 and over, including those with short and long term needs
  • Carers, in place of receiving carers’ services
  • Families with disabled children for children’s services
  • Disabled parents for children’s services.

You will need to have a care assessment to identify your needs, and then you can choose to receive the money and pay for services yourself. This means you can choose the exact service you want, when you want it and who provides it to you.

Direct Payments are not means tested and will not affect your other benefits. They are not taxable and the money is paid directly into your bank account on a monthly basis.

Previously, people deemed to lack the mental capacity to make their own decisions couldn’t get direct payments. Since 2009, it’s been possible for a “suitable person” to receive and manage a direct payment on behalf of someone who lacks the mental capacity.

There are very limited situations when social services don’t have a duty to offer direct payments. This applies to:

  • Certain people who are subject to mental health legislation. In this case, social services can decide whether or not to offer direct payments.
  • Offenders who are required to undergo treatment for drug or alcohol dependence. It’s not possible for people in this situation to get direct payments.

If someone is assessed as being eligible for support and it’s not possible for them to get direct payments, social services must provide support directly.

Consenting to direct payments

You or the person you’re looking after have to be able to consent to direct payments to receive them. It is voluntary and you do not have to choose direct payments unless you want to.

To give consent, a person doesn’t have to understand completely how direct payments work. It is enough that a person understands that direct payments would give them the opportunity to make choices for themselves.

Giving consent is not the same as being able to manage the direct payments alone. If someone is capable of giving consent to have the choice of direct payments, they may still need support to manage the direct payments.

For more information about direct payments click here


sendThe SEND code of practice requires local authorities, health bodies, schools, maintained early education settings and colleges to carry out statutory duties for children and young people with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability)

The reforms extend provision from birth to 25 years of age. This will give families greater choice in decisions and ensure needs are properly met.

The new system extends rights and protections to young people by introducing a new Education, Health and Care plan. Professionals will also provide more tailored support to families, giving them the help and assistance they need.

The Department for Education has also worked with Mencap to publish today for the first time easy-read guides for young people with SEND and their parents that explain the reforms to the system.

Knowsley Council have also created a new website about SEND, the local offer and services available  – click here to go to the site. 

Help for the Winter Months Ahead

Stay healthyThere are number of agencies who can help you stay healthy through the winter months.

GPs are contactable during weekdays and can offer a same-day appointment.  If you need medical attention during the evening or weekends, call you GP’s practice number and your call will be redirected.

NHS Walk-in Centres
There are three in Knowsley – Roseheath Drive (Halewood – 0151 244 3532), Westmorland Road (Huyton – 0151 244 3150) and St Chad’s Drive (Kirkby – 0151 244 3180) – open 7 days a week.  There is no need to make an appointment and all ages can be treated from here.

Your local pharmacist offers friendly, confidential, expert advice and treatment of everyday health issues, such as cold and flu This is the largest health website in the country, containing information about hundreds of health issues as well as helping you find GPs, pharmacies and dentists in your area.

NHS 111 Service
The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses and paramedics. They will ask you questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you straightaway to the local service that can help you best. Call 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice, but it is not a life-threatening situation.

Self care
There are a range of options to help you look after yourself – stock up on medicines for coughs and colds, make sure you are up to date with your repeat prescriptions from your GP before weekends and bank holidays.

Aids and adaptations

aids and adaptationsIf you live in Knowsley and you have a physical or learning disability, sight or hearing loss, frailty or illness you may be eligible for financial help towards the cost of equipment, home adaptations or other essential items to improve your independence, comfort, safety and quality of life at home.

The Knowsley Access Team is the first point of contact for information and advice on aids and home adaptions.

You can also get support on the amount you may have to pay towards any work undertaken through a Disabled Facilities Grant. We have attached some guidance if you live in Knowsley for applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant DFG Advice Leaflet V3 Dec 2011

For more information contact the Knowsley Access Team on 0151 443 2600.

Newsletter Sign up